Wednesday, July 21, 2010

A lovely evening with a new friend

After I wrote my blog post earlier this evening, I went to meet Vicky, a lovely girl from Birmingham, England who I met on my last night at the Hostel de 7 Santi in Florence. We compared notes on our travel plans, and realized we would be in Rome at the same time, so we decided to have dinner together. We met at the Arch of Constantine, and then we took advantage of each other's photo taking abilities, since we've both been traveling alone and using our own arms, for the most part.

Here I am in front of something recognizable:


We left the Colosseum and the Arch of Constantine behind and walked across the city, trying to find some evidence of the old Jewish ghetto and maybe some dinner. Along the way, we paused for this amazing vista of the Foro Romano:


We found the Ghetto, and had rather a charming dinner outside a small cafe. I ordered a pizza, but somehow it got lost in translation, and I ended up with a turkey sandwich. It's okay though, because the turkey sandwich was pretty tasty. Here we are after dinner:


And then we went for a walk around the Isola Tiburina, a little island in the middle of the Tiber. This is quickly becoming one of my favorite spots to visit in Rome at night (I was there the past two nights). Here's a view of the river, all full of lights:


All in all, an excellent evening with excellent company.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like a lovely evening, Sarah. How interesting the walk must have been. You are learning so much about a wonderful city.
    Did you tell Vicky that you have cousins in Birmingham?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know that I have cousins in Birmingham, actually. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Four girls: Mary Jo, Margaret, Kathleen and Annette Cruise. Their mom Sarah is now deceased. She lived in Bayonne for awhile but returned to Ireland, married and moved to Birmingham with her husband. We used to see them in rathlee every summer.

    ReplyDelete